Global Passion Project Competition
We need to empower the passionate problem solvers of tomorrow to take ownership of their communities. The Global Passion Project Competition (GPPC) is an opportunity to help solve some of the world's greatest issues.
Now accepting submissions from contestants ages 17-23. Deadline: February 28th, 2019
- World Race
- Band of Coders
- Global U
- Wolf and Shepherd
The Top 10 Global Issues
More than three billion people — almost half the world — live on less than $2.50 a day. The poorest 40 percent of the world’s population accounts for five percent of global income.
Nearly one billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. The best way to lift people out of poverty is education.
There is a high correlation between poverty and unemployment. Access to jobs is the biggest factor.
It’s a $150 billion industry trapping 40.3 million victims around the world with 81 percent in forced labor.
Lack of Civility & Grace
America is becoming increasingly fearful as a nation. And fear has produced an “us vs. them” tone that has corroded our national dialogue. It is most evident in politics and in the media. 80% of Americans are either very or somewhat concerned about the condition of our democracy.
Families around the world are under attack and in America, a majority of children don't have a happy family to come home to. One in four families doesn’t have a father in the home. 63% of youth suicides come from fatherless homes. The epidemic of school shootings is a symptom of families increasingly in distress.
In 2017, seventy-one countries suffered net declines in political rights and civil liberties, while only 35 countries reported gains. This marked the 12th consecutive year of a decline in global freedom.
Lack of Safety and Security
One of our most fundamental needs is to be safe. But in many countries, it isn't safe. Venezuela ranks the worst followed by Afghanistan and South Sudan. Of the 10 countries in which residents are least likely to say they feel safe walking alone at night, five are in Latin America. Another four are in sub-Saharan Africa.
Malnutrition has become "the new normal" and now affects a third of humanity. It is responsible for nearly half of all deaths of children under five.
At least half of the world's population is too poor to access essential health care services. Health care expenses are pushing hundreds of millions of people into poverty.
Here Is What You Win
- You take your idea, and we help you throw fuel on the fire by:
- Flying you to Spain for 3 months to implement your idea alongside a startup team.
- Investing $2,000 in seed money for your project to get started.
- Providing a team of world class mentors including industry CTO's, CEO's, and Non-Profit Directors.
- All cost's covered: airfare, lodging, and food.
Fly out to Gainesville, Georgia and work with our team of Mentors to refine your idea.
- Scott Barstow - CTO at Bandwidth (NASDAQ:BAND), Venture Partner at Sovereign's Capital, CEO at RocketHangar
- Bobby John - CTO at TradeSettlement Inc, CEO at Band of Coders, Canada's Entrepreneur of The Year
- Robert Mudd - CEO at Bourbon Brothers, President at Adventures in Missions, President at Children's Hope Chest
- Seth Barnes - Founder at World Race, Founder at Adventures in Missions
All Qualifying Candidates Receive:
- Discover Your Calling - an online course focused on how God made you and what He is calling you to. Value: $500
How To Enter
- - The Problem: A description of the dimensions of the issue its scope and why it exists.
- - Your Proposed Solution: How you suggest we begin to solve the issues--your vision.
- - Research: Other models and their success rates.
- - Optimization: How you will test and scale your proposed solution?
- - What do you need from us?
- All entries are evaluated by a team of experts according to the following four criteria:
- Understanding of the problem
- Originality of the solution
- Quality of research and exposition
- Viability and commitment to the solution